Lydia Brown specializes in business law, financing and intellectual property transfers and licensing.
She advises clients on strategies related to commercial matters as well as intellectual property. She is called upon to negotiate and draft various agreements related to licensing, distribution, intellectual property transfers, research and development, financing, joint ventures and partnerships.
As a lawyer with strong business acumen, she is a trusted advisor to entrepreneurs and has served as in-house legal and business counsel for companies such as Teleglobe, Cirque du Soleil and Moment Factory managing their legal and business issues and risks, developing business relationships, structuring commercial arrangements and negotiating contracts.
Leveraging her many years of experience in the entertainment field and a multi-disciplinary skill-set, Lydia is also a producer having delivered various types of shows and artistic installations for Cirque du Soleil and Moment Factory. She also set-up her own production company to deliver turn-key projects and events for clients such as the Montréal Biodôme, the IRCM Foundation and Royal Caribbean. For three years, she also led the international development and operations of Piknic Électronik et Igloofest, two renowed music festivals.
From 2012 to 2017, she was a member of Québec Capital Culture Fund’s advisory committee as an industry expert. In 2019, she joined the Board of Directors of the International Festival of Gardens at the Reford Gardens (Jardins de Métis) and is currently a member of the Selection Jury for the 2021 Edition. In 2020, she joined the kitchen volunteer team at the community cafeteria, Multicaf.
- Member of the Québec Bar (1993)
- License in Civil Law (LL.L), University of Ottawa (1991)
- Bachelor of Commerce, Concentrations in Finance & Real Estate (B. Com.), McGill University (1988)
- Business Law
- Licensing and Technology Transfers (Business Law)
- Financing (Including Venture Capital)
- Management and Commercialization of Intellectual Property Rights
- Contracts (Negotiation, Drafting and Review)
- Consortiums and Joint Ventures
- Research and Development Contracts
- Business Strategies and Negotiations
- Business start-up