Biochemist and Patent Agent in Canada and in the United States, Partner
Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosityMae Jemison, physicist and astronaut
Danièle Ethier’s specializes in Intellectual Property with a focus on patent procurement (drafting, prosecuting, patentability analysis and patent portfolio management) and opinions (validity, infringement, freedom to operate and eligibility of listing on the Patent Register) in the life sciences sector.
Danièle has comprehensive knowledge of the life sciences sector with an emphasis on the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. She is particularly experienced in protecting innovations relating to pharmaceuticals (small molecules), biologicals and biopharmaceuticals (antibodies, vaccines), diagnostic tools (diagnostic methods, screening assay) and natural products.
Danièle has been practicing in intellectual property since 1992. Prior to joining ROBIC, she held the position of Director, Intellectual Property in a successful antiviral research company in Canada. Danièle also held a similar position, in the global intellectual property group of a pharmaceutical company, where she was responsible for managing an important patent portfolio in a variety of core areas including antiviral and vaccine technologies.
Daniele’s key professional achievements include
- Advising a client on how to strengthen its Canadian patent portfolio for key products.
- Advising a client regarding possible attacks on competitor’s patents and subsequent filing of a protest.
- Crafting a patent portfolio for an emerging Canadian antiviral company and participating in due diligence activities which resulted in its acquisition by a U.S. Company for about $375 million USD.
- Handling oppositions in Europe and Australia relating to important anti-HIV compounds.
Danièle’s strong expertise in the life science sector allows her to advise her clients on how to best protect their valuable assets taking in consideration their business perspective.
- Bachelor in Biochemistry (B. Sc.), Université de Montréal (1990)
- Ordre des chimistes du Québec
- Patents - Counsel
- Due Diligence
- Portfolio Management
- Drafting and Prosecution of Patent Applications
- Validity, Infringement, Freedom to Operate and Patentability Opinions
- Strategic Planning
- International Patent Portfolio Management
- Licensing and Technology Transfers (Patents - Counsel)
- Patents - Fields of Science and Engineering
- Organic Chemistry