What I do for a living is not to give great lessons on what people should think, but to tell stories. And on the basis of those stories, maybe [people] get to know more about each other, understand more about each other, and at least are maybe entertainedChantal Hébert
- Practice areas
- Client industries
Camille Aubin specializes in intellectual property litigation and advises clients in matters involving patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyrights and trade secrets, as well as contractual matters involving intellectual property.
Camille has led some of the most complex intellectual property matters before the Canadian Courts in recent years. She pleads before all levels of provincial and federal courts as well as the Copyright Board.
Working daily on the resolution of intellectual property disputes, Camille also developed an expertise in the prevention of litigation via the development and implementation of contractual and intellectual property strategies.
Camille is an active member of the Canadian IP Bar. She co-chairs the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Bar of Montreal and sits on the Liaison Committee with the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal. She is a governor of the Quebec Bar Foundation and a member of the Board of Directors of the Fondation de l’École supérieure de ballet du Québec. She is often asked to sit on advisory committees on governance issues and gives dozens of pro bono hours yearly in intellectual property for EVOL, an entrepreneurship training program.
Camille also teaches trial advocacy and intellectual property at the Université de Montréal’s Faculty of Law.
Author of more than 50 publications and conferences, her publications in the Développements récents du Barreau du Québec and the Cahiers de propriété intellectuelle have been cited by the Quebec Court of Appeal. Camille is also the author of the chapter on procedure and remedies in the National Judicial Institute’s Patent Law Benchbook, prepared for Federal Court judges, and she is a regular speaker at various universities and associations on intellectual property and technology issues in Canada and the United States.
- Successfully represented a major wireless speaker company in a patent litigation against Google in one of the first patent decisions on Internet-of-Things (IOT) in Canada.
- Represents one of the biggest international family entertainment, movies and media enterprises in a copyright litigation.
- Represents an aerospace public company in a trade secret case involving several suppliers of The Boeing Company.
- Advises one of Canada’s fastest-growing retail companies on a day-to-day basis with respect to its contracts and intellectual property.
- Advises an electric transportation company on a day-to-day basis on the implementation of its intellectual property strategy.
- Litigated one of the first decisions in Canada applying exception 31 of the Copyright Act on retransmission.
- Represents the largest collective rights society in Canada in its copyright reproduction rights tariff cases.
- Successfully represented a business providing internet access gateways and connectivity solutions in a multi-jurisdictional patent litigation concerning bandwidth management and computer security.
- Juris Doctor, Université de Montréal (2020)
- Member of the Quebec Bar (2015)
- Bachelor of Civil Law (L.L.B.), Université de Montréal (2014)
- Advocates’ Society
- Young Bar Association of Montreal (YBAM)
- Université de Montréal Faculty of Law Alumni Association (ADDUM)
- Fondation de l'École supérieur de ballet du Québec
- Pléiade Capital Alumni Association
- World Intellectual Property Review 2023: Inclusion in WIPR Leader Directory
- LEXPERT special edition Technology and Health Sciences 2023: Recgonized as Lawyer to watch
- IAM Patent 1000 2023: Intellectual Property in Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2023: Recognized as Future Star
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023 : Recognized in intellectual property
- World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 2023: Enforcement and Litigation
- Named Gouverneur de la relève of Quebec Bar Foundation, title based on nominations by peers
- Named Top 3 Lawyers of the Year in litigation by the Young Bar of Montreal in 2018
- IT and Software
- Fashion and clothing
- Entertainment and media
- Food and Beverage
- Aeronautics and Aerospace
- Emerging Technologies
- Business Law
- Confidentiality and Trade Secrets
- Management and Commercialization of Intellectual Property Rights
- Copyright - Counsel
- Licenses and Assignments
- Patents and Industrial Design Litigation
- Arbitration in Intellectual Property
- Domain Names Litigation
- Copyright Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Prevention and Resolution of Disputes and Conflicts
- Patents - Counsel
- Licensing and Technology Transfers (Patents - Counsel)
- Patents - Fields of Science and Engineering
- Charter of the French Language
- Domain Names (Protection, Management and Arbitration Proceedings)
- Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
- Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur les secrets de commerce (ROBIC, décembre 2020)
- Avez-vous donné ou obtenu plus de droits que vous ne le pensiez? Licence implicite de droit d’auteur (ROBIC, novembre 2020)
- Rebranding – L’abc du changement de marque de commerce (ROBIC, novembre 2020)
- Technologie, avocats et darwinisme : l’avant et l’après Ross; Conférence Leg@.IT du Jeune Barreau de Montréal, Montréal, 2017
- Utilisation stratégique de la propriété intellectuelle; Ulule Tour, Montréal, 2017
- Intelligence artificielle : Enjeux juridiques et réalité des entrepreneurs; Conférence Leg@.IT du Jeune Barreau de Montréal, Montréal, 2018
- L’ABC du rebranding : Comment réussir un changement d’image de marque; Conférence Let’Start Up du Jeune Barreau de Montréal, Montréal, 2018
- Intelligence artificielle: Enjeux juridiques derrière la perturbation; Association du Barreau Canadien, Université de Sherbrooke, 2018
- Legal and Policy Issues Related to Artificial Intelligence, AI Innovation Summit for Life Sciences and Healthcare, Philadelphie, 2018
- Intelligence artificielle: Enjeux de propriété intellectuelle pour auteurs et inventeurs; Association des juristes pour l’avancement de la vie artistique (AJAVA), Montréal, 2017