ROBIC CELEBRATES 10 YEARS IN QUÉBEC CITY
For 10 years now, the success of our Québec City office is undeniable! Our team of local professionals has allowed us to better serve the creative and emerging tech clients based in and around the Provincial Capital and eastern Québec.
We would like to thank our clients for the continued trust and loyalty they have shown by allowing us to assist them in protecting, enforcing and commercializing their innovation!
FRANÇOIS PAINCHAUD RECEIVES THE LESI PETER K. HESS ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
François Painchaud was awarded the prestigious Peter K. Hess Achievement Award by the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI) for his outstanding contribution to the development of this organization over the years.
François was President of LESI in 2018-2019 after having served as its Secretary General and member of its Board of Directors since 2011. In addition, he served as President of LES US & Canada and was also a member of its Board of Directors from 2001 to 2010. To learn more about LESI: www.lesi.org
ROBIC is committed to offering its clients, partners and colleagues the opportunity to participate in its continuing legal education programs focused on intellectual property.
We are proud of the resounding success of our latest workshops that attracted more than 1000 participants for the Spring 2021 edition!
Our workshops are available online (in French only):
- Licences open source et bonnes pratiques
- Influenceurs et bonnes pratiques
- Marques et droit d’auteur : la cohabitation
- E-sport, streaming et nouvelles tendances
- La face cachée des noms de domaine
- Protection des renseignements personnels : bye bye silos, bonjour collaboration
- Proactivité et innovation – Bienvenue dans le monde du privacy by design
- L’intelligence artificielle et sa réglementation : regard mondial et perspectives
- La fin d’un contrat de programmation : les pièges à éviter
STAY TUNED, NEW WORKSHOPS WILL BE OFFERED IN THE FALL!
WAVE OF HIRING AT ROBIC
Record growth for the firm with over 40 new hires in the last 6 months!
The increased demand for our services has caused our team to grow, allowing us to welcome an impressive number of new talents. For the first time in its history, the ROBIC team is now more than 200 strong.
We look forward to the continued growth of our team as well as the success of our clients!
MEET OUR NEW 2021 RECRUITS!
We are pleased to have amongst us the following highly qualified professionals to assist our clients with the protection, enforcement and commercialization of their innovation.
ROBIC IS PROUD TO OFFER A NEW SERVICE FOR THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Being aware that issues related to the protection of personal information and respect for privacy are often complex and require specific expertise that evolves rapidly, not only from a legal point of view, but also from a technological point of view, ROBIC wanted to create an offer that would meet the needs of its clientele, that is to say, an offer of integrated, cutting-edge services adapted to the reality of its clients.
For more information, consult our online offer or contact Vanessa Deschênes.
A TRIBUTE TO HUGUES RICHARD
By Véronique St-Germain
Undisputed ambassador of intellectual property in Canada, accomplished jurist, distinguished trademark agent, sought-after speaker, internationally renowned professional, seasoned litigator, visionary, leading light, pioneer, but, above all, a man with heart and an inspiring and captivating career, here is a brief overview of Hugues Richard, an exceptional man.
OUR PROFESSIONALS ARE ONCE AGAIN RECOGNIZED FOR THEIR EXPERTISE
ROBIC continues to be recognized by its peers and legal publications.
We are pleased that our professionals are once again ranked amongst the best in their field:
NOMINATION DE DEUX NOUVEAUX ASSOCIÉS
Congratulations to Vanessa Deschênes and Julien Fleurance fo their appointment as Partners.
This year, ROBIC has once again rewarded the talent of two professionals highly recognized in their practice areas.
Learn more about Vanessa Deschênes and Julien Fleurance.
NOTICE OF APPOINTMENT – NEW PATENT AGENT
Congratulations to Frédéric Venne for passing his patent agent exams!
Therefore, Frédéric has become a new member in our Team of experienced and highly specialized patent agents.
Visit our website to learn more about Frédéric Venne.
ROBIC PUBLISHES IN THE INTERNATIONAL COMPARATIVE LEGAL GUIDES 2021 ~ 2ND EDITION
By Jean-François Journault
ROBIC is pleased to be published in the Canadian chapter of the renowned ICLG Digital Business 2021 directory as an exclusive partner.
To read the article, click here.
2020 IN REVIEW: PATENT LITIGATION CASES IN THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY
By Jeremy Lawson
The year 2020 will be remembered as a time that caused serious repercussions in many industries both nationally and globally. However, based on statistics reviewed up to the end of November this year, it appears that overall patent litigation has remained relatively constant in the Federal Court of Canada over the past 5 years including 2020.
THE REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR “COOKIES” AND ITS IMPACT ON CANADIAN BUSINESSES
By Vanessa Deschênes and Élisabeth Lesage-Bigras
You may have recently noticed that while browsing the web, new windows appear asking you for your preferences regarding “cookies”. This new way of doing things is partly due to the fact that several legislative and regulatory changes have taken place in Europe in the last year.
Winter / 20
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TRUST THIS YEAR
We are grateful for the trust you have placed in us in these uncertain and challenging times!
We sincerely thank you for giving us the privilege of helping you achieve your business objectives.
Rest assured that we will remain by your side in 2021 and that we will continue to provide you with the highest quality services.
ROBIC recognitions :
- ROBIC, proud to be the benchmark in IP again this year
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognizes 10 ROBIC professionals!
- Lexpert Rising Star 2020
- The American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2020
- Best Lawyers 2020-2021
- IAM Patent 1000
- WTR Global Leaders
- Bob H. Sotiriadis in the Big Leagues
- Julien Fleurance wins the J. Edward Maybee 2019 Award
- A new Vice-President of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Vincent Bergeron appointed to the Board of Directors of the L.E.S. (USA & Canada)
- Appointment of three new Partners
Other news :
- Full service in Emerging Technologies
- Québec’s oldest Firms
- Bill 64 – How will modernizing the legislative provisions on the protection of personal information affect your company?
- Bill 64 and the Fables of Jean De La Fontaine: why you should consider adopting the tortoise stratgy
- Can the COVID-19 crisis be considered a case of superior force
- New obligation to disclose nominee agreements
- Flamboyant cocktail signed ROBIC & Cannabis Foward
- An evening with Persian Women in Tech
- ROBIC is pleased to announce the appointment of Justin Freedin, Steven Lam and Nadim Noujeim as Partners
- Significant Changes in the Canadian Trademark System
- Patent Law Treaty Is Coming to Canada
- Recent Changes in Bankruptcy and Intellectual Property Licensing
- What Are Deepfake’s Impacts on the Media and Entertainment Industry?
- Open Banking: Thoughts on Intellectual Property and Data Portability
- Protection and Commercialization of Biotechnology Inventions in Canada and Québec
- Once Again, Robic and Its Professional Are Recognized in Many Prestigious Legal Directories :
- Modernization of the Industrial Design Regime
- The Cannabis Act Is Here
- The Devil Is in the Details…Except When It Comes to the Conditions for Having a Binding Agreement
- Certificates of Supplementary Protection : One Year Later
- Selecting a Cannabis Trademark You Can Actually Use
- Patenting Ai Assisted Inventions – Is a New Obviousness Standard Required?
Spring / 18
- Government of Canada announces the creation of a College
- New addition regarding Trade-Marks Regulations in Canada – divisional applications
- Are blockchain developers also developing a patent protection strategy? A look at patent filing activities in the area of blockchain
- New labels and geographical indications: what implications for the marketing of your food products in Canada?
- Should Canadians worry about the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)?
- Untangling patent rights: when employees and contractors invent
Autumn / 17
- Blockchain – What is it and what are its IP issues?
- Cannabis: Cultivating an IP culture
- Extending the term of your patent is now possible
- How to force Google to globally de-index the websites of a distributor of counterfeit products? A Canadian example shows it can be done
- Overview of Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Canada
- Additive Manufacturing: from enthusiasm to adoption to production…but where does intellectual property fit in?
Spring / 17
- Game Over for Video Game Pirates
- A Landscape of Artificial Intelligence in Canada
- Could you be liable for passing off by buying your competitor’s trademark as an AdWord on Google?
- Industrial Designs: Update on the practice in Canada.
- Five New Professionnals Join ROBIC
- ROBIC’s 5th Anniversary in Quebec City
- ROBIC News
- Legal News
Spring / 16
- The Presence of French on Public Signage in Quebec
- A Bright but Perilous Future for the Tech-Wearing Human
- Tax Breaks for Innovative Companies !
- Two New Professionnals Join the ROBIC team
- Useful and Non-Obvious News
Winter / 16
- Me Vincent Bergeron : 2015 Young Business Personality of the Year
- The “First Patent Program” : A Great Start for Protecting Your Innovation
- US Fair Use in the Age of YouTube
- Three New Professionnals Join ROBIC
- Cover Up the Data that I Must Not See!
- Useful and Non-Obvious News
Fall / 15
- Welcome to Equity Crowdfunding !
- LinkedIn: To Be or Not to Be Linked, That is the Question
- Getting the Most Out of a Patent: Law on Post Expiration Royalties
- Not All Bikes Are Born Equal
- Four new Professionnals Join ROBIC
- Useful and Non-Obvious News
- Language requirements in Quebec: A few rules to keep in mind
- Impact of the decision involving the Best Buy, Costco, Wal-Mart (et al.) trade-marks
Spring / 15
- Katy Perry’s Left Shark: Attempting to profit from a Viral Phenomenon
- The Dunkin’ Donuts case: doughnuts and coffee for 11 million $
- Businesses allowed to display their English-only registered trademarks in Quebec – at least for now…
- Crowdfunding: A Great Way to… Jeopardize your Intellectual Property
- Is your medical treatment claim more patentable now? Hint: A little
- Appointment of Vincent Bergeron as a Partner
- Useful and Non-Obvious News